Wednesday, June 13, 2012

TianJin Harmony: The Old and the New

China travel Have you ever heard about one of the thousands of cities in China called “TianJin?” For Koreans, this is not as familiar as other cities. Although we may not have heard about the city in high school textbooks, lectures in history class, or TV documentary programs, Tianjin is a central and historic trade city--one of four major harbor cities in China.

In 1858, China entered into a treaty with four countries (Russia, U.S.A., U.K., and France). Since the treaty took effect, the city has changed its lifestyle to a new way of living, and it showed quick economic success. Moreover, there are many Korean residents who have established their businesses in the city. For this reason, Korean products have been produced in great amounts in their factories.

When I was in Beijing, I found out something new about China by traveling to several places, which many people find popular. It was an especially wonderful experience, and I cannot forget the memories with my friends. Fortunately there was a national ten-day. During this time, my friends and I planned to go to Tianjin on an overnight trip.

First of all, we took a train in the morning. Getting to the city took 30 minutes by train. While train was moving, I could see that China is no longer a poor country, as we misunderstand likewise described scenes in many movies.

Arriving at the station in Tianjin, I was surprised at so many exotic sights I’d never seen before. There were buildings established using a style of western construction materials. The more I saw, the more I was fascinated by the city that what was such an interesting mixture between eastern and western architectural styles.

When we had lunch at one of the Korean restaurants, I noticed there were many Korean businesses near the restaurant to service the Korean community living there. They were also very popular among Chinese.

Another thing that impressed me was “the old street.” In that district, the ancient and modern buildings were coexisting peacefully. In looking around the street, I could imagine many generations of Chinese walking on the same street.

At the end of our visit, we took some pictures on “Italian street.” This street was literally decorated in a completely Italian style. On my way back home, I thought that I will never forget these precious memories in my whole life. I especially recommend visiting Tianjin-- to everybody, any age.


Staff writer Lee InSeong is currently a Woosong University student.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites