Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Unique Encounter in Malaysia

For two weeks, from  August 1st to August 15th, I visited Malaysia. It was a free university trip for the students who were awarded at the Woosong English Competition. During these two weeks, I took an English class at the University of Malaya.

In the morning, I went to my class and then I would travel Malaysia in the afternoon. The English class in Malaysia was similar to that in Korea and the professor let students speak freely in English. I liked my teacher and enjoyed the experience very much.

However, the most interesting and unforgettable thing about Malaysia was the environment. There are a lot of free roaming cats and monkeys in the University of Malaya’s campus. Even in the dormitory! It seems that cats in Korea are afraid of people, but cats in Malaysia are not afraid at all. When I had breakfast in the cafeteria or when I had free time socializing with classmates, cats and monkey’s would come to us and sit on our knee’s.


I was very surprised to see so many monkeys in the dorm. Before we went to Malaysia, we were told that if we put bread or fruits in the dormitory, monkeys would come to get them. I really had a hard time beliving this could be true.

Yet one day while I was alone, I encountered a single monkey in the dormitory. At that time, I was on the way to the shower room and I saw something in the end of hallway. It was a monkey. The monkey was approaching me little by little. At first, I was not sure what it was but I soon realized it was a monkey. At that moment, I was really surprised. I didn't make a sound because I was so scared. So I ran to my room. I remembered my teacher saying I should never look into the eyes of monkey. If people stare at a monkey’s eyes, they will likely attack and injure you. I honestly think the monkey was also surprised to see me and did not know what to do.

Now when I think about that moment, I smile. It was a very unique experience and that makes me laugh. While I was in Malaysia, I really missed Korea, my family, and friends. Ironically now I miss Malaysia. I miss both the University of Malaya because I learned a lot there and I also miss the beautiful Kuala Lumpur Tower and the Petronas Twin Towers.  Finally, I miss all the animals, especially that monkey I met in the dormitory!

Eun Ah Yook is currently a Woosong Student majoring in Food Service Management

1 comments:

I know of a temple in Malaysia where Monkeys are revered. They are quite cute and comical.
flights to manila

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites